Aims & Ethos
RGS exists to provide the highest possible quality of education to girls and boys aged 11 to 18 in Reigate.
At Reigate Grammar School we are a community where:
- Our main priority is to care for and support each individual child, and nurture their unique blend of talents and abilities.
- Students flourish, enjoy their school days and are prepared for a happy and successful adult life.
- We enable academic outcomes that open door of opportunity and extra-curricular experiences that create pathways to success.
- Our strong moral purpose prepares helps Reigatians to make the world a better place, aware of their advantages and with a strong sense of responsibility.
Our core priority is to care for each individual child and nurture their unique blend of talents and abilities:
- The school is tailored for each child at each point with personalisation and choice across the curriculum, in extra-curricular opportunities, in pastoral care and in learning support.
- We work in partnership with our community of pupils, parents, staff, friends and beyond to help RGS continuously improve across all areas.
- We take supporting children seriously whether for the most able or for those addressing individual and specific needs. From time to time any child may need additional pastoral or academic support during their time at RGS.
- Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our pupils.
Students flourish here, enjoy their school days and are prepared for a happy and successful adult life:
- RGS is an enabling, happy community with rich opportunities for personal development through a wide-ranging and high quality programme of extra-curricular activities.
- We support excellence, achievement and opportunity in areas including sport, culture, art and academic study.
- Students learn about opportunities beyond their school years, in higher education, employment and in training. We open their eyes and guide them to the best opportunities.
- Education beyond the formal curriculum and classroom contributes to pupils’ personal development and their academic studies.
We enable outcomes that open doors of opportunity:
- We provide an academic education seeking results in public examinations that are the best for each individual student.
- Children develop good learning behaviours within a personalised, flexible and relevant curriculum.
- The teaching at RGS is engaging, challenging and enables excellent progress.
- We support students’ progress with extensive use of tracking and monitoring to inform and support the teaching and the help we provide to each child.
- Students attain high standards and this provides better opportunities and positive progress to university.
Moral purpose is at our core. We help prepare Reigatians to make the world a better place, aware of their advantages and with a strong sense of responsibility:
- We aim to provide a disciplined and caring environment that will encourage students to develop into good citizens. Reigatians are morally and socially responsible young people.
- RGS exists for the children placed in our care but we also take seriously our commitment to their families, the local community and our staff.
- We help children from diverse socio-economic backgrounds to access RGS and we actively share our facilities and opportunities with local schools.
- The school welcomes children of all faiths and of none, within an approach based on our history as a school founded in the Christian tradition. We promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, as defined by the Department for Education.
- We are committed to continuous improvement in all that we do.